Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bitless Riding

I started Apollo under saddle and with a bitted bridle when he was three years old... I didn't do anything fancy, I wasn't trying to get him going fast, I just started slowly and let him do things at his own pace. Now, two years later, he goes very well at the walk, trot, and canter, thanks to a local trainer, Kate Nelson, who got him geared up for the summer. You see, I sent him to the trainer's for a refresher course, since I hadn't really worked with him much for about a year. I had always noticed that he was... reluctant about going when I was riding him, and he always felt so heavy in the mouth, but I just assumed he was that kind of horse. Not so. Just recently, I have become insanely interested in bitless riding, but I have never had the guts to try it... until now. I was always under the impression that bits helped with control, and "without a bit, you have no control". However, I have been doing lots of research about bitless riding, taking information and anecdotes from bloggers (such as Tamara of inthenightfarm.blogspot.com) and other internet resources. I finally mustered up enough courage to try an Indian Bosal, a bitless option that incorporates direct-rein but is not as harsh as a hackamore or a regular bosal and mecate. This Indian bosal is a lovely specimen by Debbie of CrazyRopes.com, proudly presented by the indomitable Apollo:



So we tried it. And we are NEVER going back to using a bit ever again! Apollo is so happy about being ridden now that he is a different horse! He is more than happy to move out at a good clip, he has happy lips (loose hanging lips), and he feels so light in the mouth. So, my horse is happy, and that makes me happy.

2 comments:

  1. way too many "Happy"s in one paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous color choices on that bridle, Mena! I do love Debbie's Indian Bosals. Glad you gave them a try. :)

    ReplyDelete